This challenging trek passes ecological zones, alpine meadows, spectacular glaciated peaks, down through subtropical forest and onto the Classic Inca Trail. Arrive through the Sun Gate to Machu Picchu!
The Inca Trail offers the traveller a wonderful combination of scenery including magnificent mountains, fauna and flora, subtropical vegetation and the amazing Inca ruins. Over 220 species of orchids have been found in the Machu Picchu Historic Sanctuary, as well as many species of birds, animals and reptiles.
This trek is spread over 4 days, the 44 km trail passes though three stunning Andean high passes where you will discover ancient archaeological sites and ruins.
In order to undertake this trail you need to have a reasonable level of fitness – age does not matter. The most important factor is acclimatizing to the altitude. The maximum height above sea level along the trail is 4,200m, so we suggest that you spend at least 2 days in Cusco before attempting to walk the trail.
During this time you can explore the wonderful city which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This trek is led by our Pachamama guide(s) who are also accompanied by our team of porters and cooks.
DAY 1 – Cusco(3500m/11283ft) – Piskacucho km 82(2800m/9027ft) – Ayapata (3300 m / 10829 ft)
- Camping in Ayapata ( 3300 meters / 10829 ft )
- Walking distance 14 km.
DAY 2 – Ayapata – Dead Womens’ Pass(4200m/13540ft) – Chaquickocha (3600m/11606ft)
- Camping in Chaquikocha (3600m/11606ft)
- Walking distance: 16 km.
DAY 3 – Chaquikocha – Winay Huayna(2700m/8704ft)
- Camping in Wiñay Huayna (2700m/8704ft)
- Walking distance: 10km.
DAY 4 – Wiñay Huayna – Machu Picchu (2500m/8060ft) Aguas Calientes (2040m/6577ft) – Cusco
- Hiking to Inti Punku, the “Sun Gate” (2700/ 8704ft)
- Descend to Aguas Calientes for lunch after the tour in Machupicchu
- Walking distance 5 km
- We recommended you reserve the Inca Trail 3 or 4+ months in advance
Cusco (3,350m) – Km82 (2,800m) – Wayllabamba (3,000m)
Inca Trail Trek Dead Woman’s PassEarly morning rise, our guide will pick you up from your hotel and drive to the start of the trail which takes 2 hours, taking you through the Sacred Valley to Ollantaytambo where we stop to take a break and have a look at the typical local market and where you can buy your last provisions for the trip if you forgot to in Cusco.
We continue for another hour and arrive at Km82, the start of the trail. We have breakfast whilst enjoying the view of Veronica Snow Mountain (5,720m). We then commence walking for about 3 hours, whereafter we take lunch close to Llactapata Ruins and then continue our trek through lush farmland and woodlands to our first camp at Wayllabamba. (Lunch, Dinner)
Wayllabamba – Warmiwañusca (4,200m) – Pacaymayo (3,600m)
Inca Trail Trek Dead Woman’s PassAfter breakfast, we begin to walk the toughest part of the trail.
After 3 hours walking we finally reach the highest point in the Inca Trail, Warmiwañusca, or more commonly known as Dead Woman’s Pass (4,200m), where you have a beautiful panoramic view of the area.
After lunch we continue walking down to Pacaymayo where we set up camp and have a nutritious dinner. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Pacaymayo – Phuya Patamarka (3,600m) – Wiñay Huayna (2,700m)
After breakfast we start the ascent towards the second most important pass on the trail which lies at 4,000m. There will be a guided tour at the Inca Ruins of Runkurakay and the Inca citadel of Sayacmarca. We continue trekking towards Puya Patamarka (Cloud-level town), another important archaeological monument, where lunch will be served.
After a short break we continue walking to Wiñay Huayna (Forever Young), a beautiful Inca construction, and receive a guided tour. We camp near to the ruins and have a well deserved nutritious dinner. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Wiñay Huayna – Machu Picchu (2,500m) – Cusco
Machu Picchu – PeruA very early start after breakfast in order that we can arrive in time for sunrise at Machu Picchu. We walk for about an hour through the forest before arriving at the Inti Punku (the Sun Gate), where we will have our first inspiring view of Machu Picchu.
We admire the view before setting off for the short walk into the ruins. There will be a 2 hour fully guided tour around the ruins, visiting the main sites and monuments. After the tour you will have free time to wander around and explore by yourself. We drive by bus down to the town of Aguas Calientes for lunch (not included). In the afternoon we take the train back to Ollantaytambo where you will be transferred back to your hotel. (Breakfast)
Prices Inca Trail 4D 2016
|Travellers||Group Service (per person)||Private Service (per person)|
|2 people||$ 680||$ 1100|
|3 people||$ 670||$ 1080|
|4+ people||$ 650||$ 1020|
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-briefing before trail departure date
- Pick up from your hotel by your english speaking tour guide 2 guides for over 8 people in the group.
- Private Transportation solely for Pachamama Trek passengers to start of Trek
- All entrances fees to the inca trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological Sanctuary
- Porters to carry all the equipment, tents, food, cooking gear, and dining tents
- Duffles to put your luggage into including plastic bag to keep your gear dry during rainy season no more than 5 Kls
- Permits and entrance fees for our porters and cooks
- 4 breakfasts, 4 snacks, 3 lunches, 3 happy hours, and 3 dinners, all prepared by our chef
- Coca tea served each morning in your tent for a gentle start to the day
- Boiled water after breakfast, lunch and dinner to refill your water bottles
- Happy hour including hot drinks such as mate de coca and locally grown coffee
- Emergency oxygen bottle and first aid kit
- Vegetarian food and specialized diets on request NO EXTRA COST
- 2 people per tent (4 men tents, waterproof)
- All camping equipment and Sleeping mats
- 2:30 hrs guided tour of Machu Picchu
- One way bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes village
- Expedition train return to Ollantaytambo
- Private transfer from ollantaytambo train station to hotel
- Lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes
- Climb up Huaynapicchu Mountain – $68 payable in advance for permit
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING?
- Original passport
- Student ISIC card (www.isic.org) if it is applicable (needs to be sent at the time of your booking)
- Day Pack
- Hiking boots and sandals (very important)
- Warm clothes: layers for variable temperatures, especially at night. Thermals/gloves/scarves; wool socks /wool hat for cold nights: About 4 T-shirts for the entire trek
- Rain Gear: a good rain jacket and rain pants and plastic rain poncho
- Head lamp (very important)
- Personal medical kit
- Insect repellent
- Toilet paper
- Small towel
- Camel bag for environmental protection, if not you can take plastic bottles for wáter
- Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs, etc. (soles or dollars) At least 200 extra soles
- Bathing clothes for the hot springs (optional.) Recommended for those who stay extra night
- OPTIONAL: Bring your own sleeping bag, trekking poles
EXTRAS AND IMPORTANT INFO
- Single Tent (for persons not happy to share) – $50 per tent
- Sleeping bag – $25
- Inflatable Thermarests – $15
- Inflatable pillow – $5
- Trekking poles – $10 per pole
– Half porter (carry 7kg) – $80
– Full porter 14kg (can be split between 2 persons)= $170
Note About Our Porters
Our Porters carry a maximum load of 18kg, but we kindly ask you to not exceed your 7kg stated allowance as we need to adhere to the INC regulations and more importantly not damage the health and welfare of our Porters!Please note that if you want to hire a personal porter you need to tell us this at the time of making your reservation as our Porters also require permits to enter the trail and we cannot add on more porters after we have obtained your permits.
Interested in climbing Huanapicchu Mountain?
Please note that you need to reserve permits for Huaynapicchu Mountain in advance. The system of booking is permit based and can get sold out way in advance! There are 400 permits available per day and the cost to add on Huanapicchu to your program is US$ 68 per person payable via Paypal in advance.Please note that if passengers are not on time they will lose their entrance!!